Capacity Building: Overview
In This Section:
- Customized Employment
- Promising Practices
- Targeted Technical Assistance (TA)
- Work Incentives and Benefits Planning
Questions (to answer individually or as a team)
Are you aware of targeted grants funding within your state that aims to increase employment of people with disabilities and their outcomes?
Are there Navigators, Disability Resource Coordinators, Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Counselors and/or other staff with disability expertise co-located within your state’s American Job Centers (AJCs) that support capacity buidling?
Are you aware of all national/state/local Technical Assistance (TA) available to your state/local Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) system?
Are you aware of promising practices that have been effectively implemented nationwide, such as Customized Employment and Integrated Resource Teams (IRTs), to improve employment of people with disabilities?
Are there AJCs or other organizations in your state that have become Employment Networks (EN) and do they collaborate with Work Incentives & Benefits Planning staff to assist beneficiaries of Supplemental Security Income/Social Security Disability Insuran
Are you aware of all of the ways to access and pay for Work Incentives and Benefits Planning?
Actions (to take individually or as a team)
Research and identify grants that are being implemented across your state that may be replicated to help build capacity in serving people with disabilities, and/or grants for which you can apply.
Identify national, state, and/or local TA that may support your efforts to expand employment to people with disabilities.
If targeted grants are not in place, research national promising practices, including Customized Employment and Employment First on the LEAD Center website that can be implemented in your programs or through partnerships.
Explore the level of active resource coordination in your region for people with multiple employment challenges and how partners are working together to serve them.
Use the Data and Resources to Inspire a Vision of Employment (DRIVE) website and resources to identify state policies, practices, technical assistance initiatives, and outcomes that are focused directly or indirectly on the employment of individuals with
Learn how your AJC/organization can become an Employment Network (EN) and how to partner with organizations in the state/local area that provide Work Incentives & Benefits Planning to better serve SSI/SSDI recipients.
Research the availability of Work Incentives and Benefits Planning and their funding streams.
- Playlist 1: Guidance for WIOA Programs, Service Providers, and Practitioners Working with Individuals with Disabilities
- Playlist 2: Including Individuals with Disabilities in Outreach and Recruitment
- Playlist 3: Disability Etiquette—Effective Communication with Individuals with Disabilities
- Playlist 4: Physical Access for Individuals with Disabilities
- Playlist 5: Technology Access for Individuals with Disabilities
- Playlist 6: Employer Engagement Strategies to Recruit and Retain Individuals with Disabilities
- Playlist 7: Individuals with Disabilities—Partnerships to Support Education, Training, and Employment
- Playlist 8: Legislation Relevant to Individuals with Disabilities
- Playlist 9: Guidance for Employers and WIOA-Related Service Providers Working with Students with Disabilities
- Guided Group Discovery Resources: Introduction and Course, Participant Workbook, and Facilitator Guide
- Self-Guided Discovery Facilitator’s Guide: Helping People Discover Their Own Path to Employment
- The Inclusive Career Pathways Desktop Guide: Information and Resources to Support Inclusive Programs and Services
- Ticket to Work service providers offer Social Security disability beneficiaries (persons who receive SSI or SSDI) age 18 through 64 who want to work with free job support.
- Integrating Financial Capability and Asset Building Strategies into the Public Workforce Development System
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
- Career Pathways Customer Flow
- State Assistive Technology (AT) Programs
- The Alliance for Quality Career Pathways (AQCP) Framework Version 1.0
- Career Pathways Explained: A Multimedia Overview
- Funding Career Pathways and Career Pathway Bridges: A Federal Policy Toolkit for States
- Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion
- Partnership on Employment & Accessible Technology
- Association for Career and Technical Education
- Guideposts for Success
- The 411 On Disability Disclosure: A Workbook For Youth With Disabilities
- The 411 On Disability Disclosure: A Workbook For Families, Educators, Youth Service Professionals, And Adult Allies Who Care About Youth With Disabilities
- Skills to Pay the Bills: Mastering Soft Skills for Workplace Success